[Fsf-india] DEBATE: Why Linux... why GNU/Linux

Raju Mathur raju@linux-delhi.org
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 19:56:57 +0530 (IST)

    KAL> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, "E. Krishnan" <ekmath@md5.vsnl.net.in>
    KAL> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Raju Mathur wrote:
    >>
    KAL> [...]
    >> > Of course, some people like to believe that they > have
    >> solved a problem as soon as they give it a name, but names are
    >> > shallow and superficial and both a result and a cause of
    >> sloppy > thinking.
    >>

    >> That's very well put.

    KAL> It seems that you just got swayed by some fancy prose. Please
    KAL> read http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html in conjunction
    KAL> with the above and you will realize that Mr. Mathur is
    KAL> implying that the founder of the Free Software Movement and
    KAL> father of the GNU project is a "sloppy" thinker and that his
    KAL> passionate appeal to people to accept the GNU/Linux name is a
    KAL> "shallow and superficial" pursuit.

Since you bring it up, I was referring to the tendency of certain
people to label other people and then dismiss their views since the
chosen label is derogatory (in their view).  That makes life easy for
them, and definitely deserves the sloppy or lazy thinking title.

And I do believe that RMS' insistence on the name GNU/Linux is
meaningless.  People may not agree with me, but that doesn't bother me
since (and now I'm using the techniques I learned from this list)
they're all leftist commie idealogical impractical idiots and hence
their thoughts, speech and ideas should be disregarded without a
second glance.  See?  Just get the terminology right and voila! the
problem disappears!

</sarcasm>

Regards,

-- Raju