[Fsf-india] Value

Gopal.V gopalv82@yahoo.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:45:12 +0530

If memory serves me right, Tapan S. Parikh wrote:

> - doing free consulting and support for NGOs and development groups to
> introduce free software

	We would all like to do that, but we need an identity . It's not
that "my friend" setting up GNU/Linux anymore.

	This job should typically be localised -- ie done by local groups.
The FSF India should provide these people with backup help -- ie provide
knowhow when required.

> - setting up training and education forums and trying to get people,
> particularly from these communities, involved

	I think this will also need localised work -- travelling 2 days
to a meet is a completely niet.

> - analyzing the needs of local language and rural software in India and
> start developing tools and applications

	With this much number of languages , all except hindi will need localised
work. (pun intended).

> - Qt, Gtk, Mozilla, KDE all need to be customized for Indian languages

	GTK already has support for many languages. The majro work will be
typing out the strings set for the various labels/buttons/dialogs etc.

> - many more things...

	One of the major points you missed is the forming of GNU/Linux
*development* groups. Sure we have lots of user groups but no
development groups.

	For me contributing code and helping contribute code are the
efforts I'm willing to take.

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success