[Fsf-india] Sorry about starting the flame-war...

Frederick Noronha fred@bytesforall.org
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:39:51 +0530 (IST)

Dear friends,

I am really sorry for starting a really heated (and sometimes
almost-aggressive) flame-war on the GNU/Linux vs. Linux debate.

As someone who has gained a lot from GNU/Linux (or Linux, take your
pick as to what should the label be) and who is really impressed by its
ideals, apart from wanting to give *something back*, it was not my
intention to have caused any hurt, intentionally or otherwise, to anyone.

I apologise for the fallouts, which I should have anticipated.

As someone trying to get a better clarity over such issues, my (probably
simplistic) thinking was to club both the views together, and see what
further light could be thrown on this issue!

Obviously, I ended up only adding fuel to the fire....

Much as I respect the work of RMS -- for the great contribution he has
given to humankind in terms of untraditional and liberating
approaches towards software -- I also have high regard to Atul
Chitnis' work in spreading Linux to lakhs of users across India. (Apart
from other things, like LinuxBangalore2001, etc.)

Of course, I'm not sure I agree with both when it comes to some finer
points and approaches -- particularly on the 'free speech versus free
beer' debate... and what strikes one as a deliberate playing-down or
sidetracking of the 'free' (or low-cost aspect of GNU/Linux) which has
tremendious implications to countries like India, in a market which is
very price-sensitive. You're talking about two-thirds of humankind!

Without intending to spart off any other flame-wars, I'd only like to
state that my intention in cross-posting the arguments was try and
understand a wider shade of opinions.

I shouldn't have quoted from what might have been intended as personal
postings.

FN
--
Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa * India 832.409490 / 409783
BYTESFORALL www.bytesforall.org  * GNU-LINUX http://linuxinindia.pitas.com