[Fsf-india] DEBATE: Why Linux... why GNU/Linux

E. Krishnan ekmath@md5.vsnl.net.in
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:22:53 +0530 (IST)

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Raju Mathur wrote:

> Sad to see that so many members of the FSF-I community believe that
> attacking a person is the right way to spread their message of freedom
> and openness.

Maybe we should emulate RMS in this matter, whom I've never seen attacking
a person. May I quote from one of his earlier mails to this list,
regarding the issue of Linux vs. GNU/Linux??

	"This is not nice, and not fair to the GNU Project. But fair
	treatment of the GNU Project is not a first-rank issue. Whether a
	person is fair to the GNU Project is less important than how he
	treats people's freedom."

> Of course, some people like to believe that they
> have solved a problem as soon as they give it a name, but names are
> shallow and superficial and both a result and a cause of sloppy
> thinking.

That's very well put.

--
Krishnan