[Fsf-india] Time to start another flame

Raghavendra Bhat ragu@vsnl.com
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:00:12 +0530

Vikram posts :

> Some time ago, Linux  was the best OS to run in  computer labs at IIT,
> since it saved some money

It was always the GNU system with the Linux kernel....the OS is the GNU.

You have put  things in the right perspective in that  the total cost of
ownership  is  secondary when  one  uses  free  software.  Any  day  the
*proprietary*  software  guys  will beat  us  blue  if  we harp  on  the
practical  aspects  of free  software  like  TCO, technical  superiority
etc.... It is right that  one should always concentrate on the *freedom*
angle alone instead of the cost factor (which is really dumb).

I am  indebted to Khuzaima  for neatly articulating the  *freedom* angle
and subtly teaching us all a  point or two.  As he rightly and pointedly
says,  we should  move amongst  the  students instead  of some  _futile_
lobbying amongst the politicians/bureaucrats/professors.

--
 /(__  __|\  ragOO, VU2RGU<->http://gnuhead.dyndns.org/<->GPG: 1024D/F1624A6E
(    \/  __)_       Helping to keep the  Air-Waves FREE         Amateur Radio