[Fsf-india] Linux in Education

Ajith Kumar ajith@nsc.ernet.in
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:37:55 +0530

Hello,
    The Linux Terminal Server Project may be a good option for setting
up
computer networks at schools. you can use old P1s or even 486 machines
as good X-terminals using this. The package is very easy to install and
maintain. There is an excellent manual also.
We have three servers having nearly 60 terminals running on LTSP.
The server is P3 - 384 MB RAM - running RedHat 7.1
StarOffice and Navigator are running fine on them.
A memory hog like StarOffice cannot run fast even on 128 MB system
but on the server the same copy is shared by all.

Instead of getting junked along with Windows98 - they can't run 2000 -
Our Pentium1 machines have found a new life as X-terminals.

for details see www.ltsp.org

I have prepared a CD named GNU/Linux Utilities for Education, GLUE,
It is being distributed by the Free Software User Group, Calicut,
fsug@rediffmail.com

ajith