[Fsf-india] Integrating TTF fonts to GNU/Linux - HOWTO

Gopal.V gopalv82@yahoo.com
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:12:34 +0530

If memory serves me right, CK Raju wrote:
>  Created a new directory 'TrueType' under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.
>
> Step 2 :
>  Added the pathname to the configuration file (XF86Config) wherever it
> is
> (under /etc or /)
	Please be more specific. An entry into the /etc/XF86Config-4 in
the "Files" section

	FontPath "unix/:-1"
	FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"

> Step 3 :
>  Copied all ttf fonts taken from Windows fonts directory to the newly
> created
> TrueType directory under GNU/Linux.
	Not all of them please, coz when X encounters a corrupted font,
it will start crashing.....

> Step 4 :
>  (Here's where most of the documentation on them went wrong.)
>  Under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType,
>  # ttmkfdir -m 100 -o fonts.scale
	Hey !. You're putting the TTF into X directly. The right way to do
this is to put the TTF files into the XFS ie /etc/X11/fs/config file
or /etc/X11/xfs/config file. So after ttmkfdir what you gotta do is
do a /etc/init.d/xfs restart and you have the new fonts.

	But anyway the method C.K Raju explained will work on XFree86-4
but for those poor souls still stuck with XFree86-3, debian has a
TrueType Fontserver called XFSTT which can be used to render the fonts.

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success