[Fsf-india] GNU/Linux in Schhools

M. Balakrishna Pillai mbpillai@eth.net
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:36:15 +0530

Dear listers

"E. Krishnan" wrote:

> Arun and myself met the Director of Public Instructions, Kerala and
> he shows considerable interest in introducing Free Software
> in schools. The idea is to introduce it as part of IT curriculum in
> High School classes. We will have to do some work regarding this.
>
> 1) Creating a custom GNU/Linux for our schools with educational and
>    office tools
> 2) Creating  materials for training school teachers in GNU/LInux
> 3) Selecting and documenting good educational software
> 4) Gaining support from schools for implementing the same
>
> The work requires a lot of man power. If you are willing to help in
> taking charge of some of these efforts please let us know.
>
> We are also interested in knowing your suggestions on what all we can do
> as part of this project.

I can take two to three week leave from my bank and train/teach
Installation, maintanance etc of Debian GNU/Linux to teachers in schools at
Ernakulam.

I suggest inclusion of Koffice, abiword, gnumeric, lyx  GIMP at GUI level
and bash, vim, XWPE (for C  & C++) etc at console level, and Debian SID or
WOODY as GNU/Linux distribution.

With regards

M.Balakrishna Pillai