[Fsf-india] Freedom, affordable costs... beer, freespeech

Arun M arun@freedevelopers.net
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 21:28:30 +0530

> My apologies for raking up a flame-war regarding my earlier. The feedback
> I got on the Linux-in-the-Third-World article was most interesting, and it
> was something one went through carefully.
>
> Just to put a few of my own views forward:
>
> * From some of the discussion, it appears that software professionals have
> (genuine) fears that lower-costs of software could cut into their

At some points in the thread followed, I also felt that discussion is going
towards "Starving programmer". I am not going to answer that as RMS has
written enough about it and I am not competent to articulate it better.
Simply speaking Free Software Movement stands for much larger issue.

For each individual, Free Software may be different thing. Some
it is low cost, some others better technology, to some, way to show their
technical skills, some a community for better world ...

To me last one is the most important, be part of a community where
knowledge is shared for a better society.

> earnings. But isn't there some other model (other than one influenced by
> Bill Gates' famed letter to software enthusiasts)? One that lowers the
> cost of software, makes it affordable to billions worldwide who currently
> simply can't pay the price, widens the market, and rewards software
> professionals at the same time?
> Or am I being too naively optimistic?

Long back we had a system where, i gave what i got in excess to some else
and get what he got (and i need). Then we started attributing price to
some thing based on demand and supply.

Now cannt we value something based on what it gives to the user ?
For me Gimp doesnt provide much value addition, but emacs/vi does,
to some one else gimp is of more value. Value software brings to
a small farmer is much less than that for a busy professional.
Cant the cost of a software be dependent on what it gives the user ?
May be this is the model you are looking for.

Just some thoughts, I dont know much economics. And dont link it with
Free Software movement. These economics are not the primary issue in
Free Software Movement.

> * Costs is the most significant factor in a price-sensitive market like
> India, and, I guess, for large segments of the Third World. Don't we tend
> to look at the right-hand-side of the menu when we visit a restaurant? (At
> least I still do!) Didn't Nirma detergent or Amul Pizza become such a big
> hit because of the marketing-model they choose: low-price,
> high-turnover? Is there anything shameful about that?
>
> If countries like India and China have anything to give to the world once
> again, it's how we can make products that the billions can
> afford. Bringing products within the reach of the
> otherwise-excluded... isn't this some kind of freedom and empowerment
> too? More so when it's a powerful product like software, knowledge... or
> even information put out by simple hacks like us?
>

> Fears that once people get used to 'free' or low-cost
> (pricewise) software, they won't be willing to pay... are only
> fears.

  When it comes to lower/zero cost and Freedom issue, in my view,
the lower cost is not the reason for Free Software. But to some
it may be the result. At some point of time cost (i dont know if it is
the right word) has incurred in the development of software, but then on
why cant we share it with others ? They will create some thing new from
it. And contributes to development of society as a whole.

Our job is to make more and more people understand why Free Software
and Freedom is important. If some one enjoys free software
because of lower cost, let him be, when he is enjoying it we should
remind him, that some people are fighting for his Freedom to "enjoy".

Fault I can find in Frederick's article is he doesnt mentions work people
are putting in to protect the Freedom which lead to affordable computing
to many, not that he is talking about affordable computing with
Freesoftware. Every day corporate giants are trying to bring new laws,
patent reforms, etc to destroy peoples right to share Knowledge. We are
seeing a lot of examples of this. Our opponents are strong, and our
strength can be a lot of learned and just people (not just developers)
fighting for the Freedom to share Knowledge. I wont ask Frederick or
others to talk about FSF or GNU (even if they deserve it) but atleast
tell why Freedom is important to enjoy the "zero" cost.

Another issue relating to this is FSF's policy of using GNU/Linux.
Some says it is ego of RMS, some others, because GNU contributed to it and
deserves credit. To me these are not the primary reason, hope RMS will
also agree, we say GNU because we need to remind people of issues affecting
their Freedom. And pointing to GNU is a good way to do it.
I dont mind FSF or GNU disappearing from this world and history
(which I dont think will happen in near future) provided Freedom it
fights for is protected.

With regards,
Arun.