[Fsf-india] Different kinds of freedom...

Arun M arun@freedevelopers.net
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 21:55:05 +0530

> * For the ICT-for-Development network (this is a growing lobby, with
>   many bodies like UNDP, the World Bank etc pushing strongly for it)
>   it makes a lot of sense to talk of affordability/price, since the
>   bottomline for many such groups is financial and economic. Kindly
>   note that the article that raked up this debate was written for
>   that audience. This does not mean the arguements were dishonest;
>   it's really the way how many of those I spoke to actually feel.
>
>   Incidentally, the ICT-for-Development network is debating
>   a lot on how IT (and Communication Technologies) can help
>   promote development. Perhaps there's need for more from the
>   GNU/Linux lobby to "infiltrate" this network. This is a campaign
>   where Free Software has a *lot* to offer. We win the battle
>   in convincing this network hands down, because the profit-is-not-all
>   approach works very well when the issue of three-fourths of the
>   human race (that is currently out in the cold) is at stake. FN

This is a very important issue. I believe these projects will be
helping a bringing computing to lot of people and Free Software
community should actively involve and bring Free Software messages
to more people. Also these developmental agencies can help us in
our fight to protect Freedom of people. I would like to request
Frederick to initiate active discussions and programs in this regards.