[Fsf-india] Re: FSF India contact in Trivandrum ..

George Easaw geasaw@vsnl.com
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 13:58:14 +0530

Dear all,

Kerala govt has recently embarked on a scheme to improve the IT enabling , ie
e-governance, IT enabling in schools etc..
Director of Public Instruction, govt of Kerala is an Electronics engg topper
( Kerala Uty and my senior at College of Engg., Trivandrum) VSSC,TVM
Scientist turned IAS officer, V P Joy , who had recently signed with Intel
Corp for supply of hardware for the project of IT enabling in schools.

I had a talk with him over telephone about having free software ( GNU/Linux
OS) on some of the machines and he is enthusiatic about it. If some of the
Gnu/Linux enthusiasts or office bearers of FSF India from TVM could meet him
in his office at Jagathy, TVM ( he has already agreed to install Gnu/Linux on
some machines and is ready to meet anybody from FSF India....!!) and discuss
with him about this alternative OS, maybe it could ensure the use of
Gnu/Linux OS on a lot of machines saving Kerala govt of valuable resources
towards procuring proprietary OS. The money whcih would have been spent on
software could then be used to buy more hardware for schools. The highly
commendable and successful Goa Schools Computer Project ( GSCP) by Daryl
Martinis , Fred Noronha and team from Goa can be a model for Kerala too .. It
can also ensure that the big scale e-governance project of Govt of Kerala can
have a good component of machines running on Gnu/Linux OS, thereby helping
partly realise RMS' dream of free software on all computers in the world. (
if possible trying to keep the NASSCOM - Microsoft protege at bay..)

It was the conversation with RMS while arranging his talk at IITB which made
me to think in these lines and help Gnu/Linux in any little way possible.

If you can send me a mail i shall send the home telephone of VP Joy. I am
unsure whether he is using email on a big scale.

regards, george.. < all for Gnu .. >

On Sunday 14 April 2002 10:43, Frederick Noronha conveyed that: