[Fsf-india] Freedom, affordable costs

vsasi@vsnl.com vsasi@vsnl.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 04:09:02 -0000

I have been following the discussion on free speech vs free beer. Let me
just explain my experience, which, I hope would be a pointer to what an
average computer user would want.

I have virtually no background in programming, and have been using windows
applications for all my needs. I got to know about Linux (did not know
about GNU at that time) from a friend and just decided to try that out.
One of the basic reasons was that I c ould use it without being afraid of
the la many people are contributing their spare time for a common cause,
especially in modern times when everything is seen in terms of money. I
decided to find out whether I could get applications for all my purposes.
Initially I used to use Star Office, but de cided to cut it out for
ideological reason

It was the "free" nature of GNU/Linux (both free as in freedom and free as
in free lunch) that attracted me to GNU/Linux, but the ideology that made
me stick to it.

I think there could be many more people who would come my way, and many
more who alerady have.

V. Sasi Kumar