[Fsf-india] Four more questions...

Raju Mathur raju@linux-delhi.org
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:47:45 +0530

>>>>> "KLAK" == Khuzaima A Lakdawala <klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in> writes:

    KLAK> It seems that this list is losing focus. Instead of finding
    KLAK> better ways to educate people about Software Freedom, we are
    KLAK> coming up with excuses for not doing so.

    KLAK> What is our goal? To propagate Free Software at any cost to
    KLAK> get some short term gratification in numbers? Or to lay a
    KLAK> strong foundation of Software Freedom to ensure the long
    KLAK> term success of Free Software?

Is long-term success of free software a goal in itself?  If that is
the case I have no more to say.  OTOH if the main goal is to improve
peoples' lives through free software then, as I said earlier,
sacrificing the present for the future is not an acceptable
methodology.

    KLAK> These two goals are conflicting and definitely *not*
    KLAK> complementary as some would like us to believe. The first
    KLAK> smacks of compromise. And compromises are dangerous,
    KLAK> suicidal, for idealistic movements. You make one and you are
    KLAK> tempted to make another, and another, till you reach the
    KLAK> point where the original ideals of the movement get
    KLAK> completely fudged and unrecognizable.

    KLAK> And no, Free Software does not claim to have all the
    KLAK> answers. Especially to twisted questions loaded with suspect
    KLAK> economics.

    KLAK> It's time we collectively set an agenda for this list. It's
    KLAK> time the FSF Board takes some initiative in this matter to
    KLAK> ensure that free software advocates are not made to enter
    KLAK> into frequent skirmishes just to put across the most basic
    KLAK> and fundamental issues of Software Freedom. Our resources
    KLAK> should be used for sharpening our advocacy, not diluting it.

Trying to remember who started this particular ``skirmish''...

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raju Mathur          raju@kandalaya.org           http://kandalaya.org/