[Fsf-india] Freedom, affordable costs...

Pappu gnuhead@vsnl.net
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:55:15 +0530

 > 	We are all for projecting 'freedom' as the goal of Free Software.
 > The only way you can negate the 'low cost' argument is by stressing on
 > this.
Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean.

As  far as  I  can  see, there  is  *NO* low  cost  advantage to  free
software.  How can we claim  something we don't have.  I wouldn't mind
if that won't hurt the  movement. But when the non-free vendors strike
back, by proving that we are making wrong claims, it will hurt and can
potentially  destroy the  movement (we  can easily  be projected  as a
bunch of liars with some hidden agenda).
 > > if he is using free software, he can (since he doesn't
 > > know programming) ask a friend  or pay a neighborhood developer to do
 > > the task. But if he was using non-free software, he is entirely at the
 > > mercy of the vendor.
 > 	Excellent thought; except.. again.. how practical is this? Is
 > there a friendly neighbourhood developer avail;able to each and every user
 > who has the time and skill to modify code for others?
Well, what ever be your argument, how does _mentioning low/no cost of
free software_  help in this context.  I have pointed  out cases where
mentioning low/no  cost of free  software can hurt free  software. Can
you  give  some points  where  it  is  advantageous (some  thing  that
non-free software doesn't have) ?

I think  we should discuss one issue  at a time, or  atleast one issue
per thread (just my thought, not a rule I am trying to impose - please
lets not discuss this statement further)

 > >  >  But product usage will always be the end-user's priority
 > > This is  one of  the things that  we have  to try to  change. It  is a
 > > difficult task,  but if we are  persistent, we will  achieve this goal
 > > some day.
 > 	Changing user priority isn't really required. I believe a software
 > product is essentially for 'use'. What drives the programmer? The scope of
 > usage I think..
Are we discussing different issues.  I am concerned about freedom, not
about usability, in this thread.  Usability is a very important issue,
and I believe, deserves a thread of its own.

 > perhaps!) may have found trains 'more usable' then. The point is that..
 > today, trains may  be 'less usable' but the  trains still run don't
That is not a good reason to say no to freedom.
 > Free software in India does not have anything 'usable'.
Sorry. This statement  is wrong. Free software is  very much usable in
India and  most countries I know  of. (There are  some countries where
laws make certain free software illegal)
 > Why not promote GNU/Linux in terms of usability
All software is  usable. My point is that free  software does not have
an  advantage  when  considering  usability.  The  only  advantage  is
FREEDOM.

bye,
pappu.