[Fsf-india] Four more questions...

Pappu gnuhead@vsnl.net
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:21:50 +0530

On Friday, 12 April 2002 00:14:46 +0530, Frederick Noronha wrote:
 >    1) How do you "use software for any purpose possible" if
 >    90% of the country (that goes for government departments in
 >    many cases, colleges, almost all schools, etc) cannot afford
Cannot afford  is the wrong assumption.  A I mentioned  in my previous
post, non-free  software can  be made low/no  cost, by the  vendor. So
what  I am trying  to say  is that  the low/no  cost of  free software
cannot be proved. If we start giving examples, the non-free vendor can
do at least the two following things...
 1) Make the current version of their product low/no cost.
 2) Start  a   FUD  attack  (backed   up  by  research  data   of  all
    sorts) and disprove our claims

When that happens, free software doesn't gain any thing.

Please note that I am not claiming  that cost is not a factor. Cost is
a factor and may be, as  you say, the most important factor *BUT* free
software don't have  any advantage here. Just because  of this reason,
mentioning low/no  cost of free software (which  non-free software can
also claim) will not get free software any further.

The only advantage that free software has is FREEDOM.

Now, if  somebody asks whether  he has to  pay more for  free software
than  he  has to  pay  for non-free  software,  we  can mention  these
factors, not  as an advantage but just  to claim that we  are on equal
grounds in the cost aspect.
 >    the prices of internationally dominant software products, *and*
This is not an unchangeable rule. MS Internet explorer doesn't cost any
thing. This product, along with  many no-cost plug-ins can provide many
features   that  free   software  cannot   provide  (due   to  various
reasons). Does  mozilla have any  advantage here, other than  the fact
that it  is free. Now, if  you are thinking of  non-free products that
are not  no-cost, to  counter this argument,  please note that  if you
manage to  convince enough people  using this factor, the  vendor will
notice the threat and can very easily nullify your argument by making
that product low/no cost.
 >    2) How many percent of computer users can really "modify the
 >    software to suit your uses"?
The question is not whether a person is capable of modifying software,
but whether he has the right to do that. Consider it this way.
Definition:
    Software  is  just  a string  of  1  and  0, which  when  arranged
    properly, can modify other strings of 1 and 0.
(I don't remember where I found this, but it is correct)
Now take  a simple software, say 1010.  I may have got  this by paying
money or gratis.  Now does some one has the right to say that ...
1) I should not use this for doing particular things.
2) I  don't have  the  right to  know that  I  am running  1010 in  my
   computer (I paid for my computer. I am in a third world country, so
   the computer is very costly)
3) I  don't  have  the right  to  tell  you  that  I  use 1010  in  my
   computer. (If I do, my actions are compared to that of a pirate)
4) I don't have the right to replace a  1 with a zero and a 0 with a 1
   and see what it does to my  computer (I paid lots of money for this
   computer)
5) If I find that 0101 works  better than 1010, I don't have the right
   to let you know this?
Well, I think these are human rights violations.
 >    Or, are we talking only of the freedom of the techie here?
No. Freedom is equally relevant for every one.
 >    If so, aren't we guilty of leaving 99% in the cold?
Are we assuming that non-free software  (when it costs as less as free
software)  doesn't  do this?  Why  ask  this  question only  for  free
software  and how  is  it relevant  any  way? Are  we  hurting 99%  of
computer  users by  mentioning the  freedom to  modify code?  Just for
completeness, even  if this freedom  doesn't provide any  advantage to
99% freedom,  it doesn't seem to hurt  them in any way.

Here we are trying to find how to convince a layman that free software
is better  than non-free software.  Cost, quality etc being  the same,
freedom is the only thing we have, that is worth mentioning.
 >    3) How does one "help your neighbour" if money remains the
 >    primarily motivating factor? If money is *not* the main
 >    factor, then why not be upfront about that?
Note:
For a  program to be Free software,  all the four freedoms  have to be
there. Even if one freedom is not there, it doesn't qualify to be free
software
Now,  think  of a  non-free  software  that  is available  gratis,  eg
MSIE.  Now  how is  money  the  primary  motivating factor  here?  The
non-free software vendor knows this point and will use it against free
software when sufficiently threatened. The action could be to make the
non-free software  low/no cost or turn  a blind eye  towards what they
call *piracy*. So ?

 >    4) Community comes from sharing and giving freely. Freely as
Sorry, I didn't quite understand the relevance of this question to the
topic under discussion. Could you please elaborate?

 > My feeling is that the 'free beer versus free speech' debate makes sense
 > in a North American context. Where money/resources/food/beer is not so
 > important  an issue  as 'freedom',  since almost  everyone  has the
 > former.
By making  non-free software low/no  cost, a non-free  software vendor
can easily create that situation in any country.

 > But, in an Indian context?
A person may not have money to buy software today. The market research
departments of  non-free software  companies know this  as well  as we
do.  But they  also have  other departments  (or they  may out-source),
which can almost accurately predict the way economy is going to change
in India.  So the non-free  vendor can reduce  or remove the  price of
their products  till the product-lock-in  is achieved, and may  be wait
till economic standards in the country improves.

If  they find out  that this  will never  happen, they  won't continue
their operations  in the  region, and we  don't need to  discuss these
issues in the first place. People may still get copies of the software
from other sources, without paying - they don't have money, remember?
In such a situation also,  people are using non-free software and they
spend no money on it. So where is the low/no cost advantage of FS?

 > To stretch the argument: at the end of the day 'free beer' is intricately
 > related to 'free speech'.
OK. But to promote free software,  the only advantage we have, that is
worth  mentioning, is  freedom. As  I tried  to explain  above  and in
previous  emails, free  software doesn't  have any  advantage  when it
comes to price.
 > Could we take a closer look at the terms used in this allegory? The loaded
 > nature of the comparision might also be skewing our perspectives...
 > speech'? Then maybe the arguments against the former wouldn't be so
 > sharp.
Well,  I  am  still  under  the impression  that  this  discussion  is
regarding --- what we should  state as the advantages of free software
over  non-free software,  when talking  to people  and  governments in
third world countries like India.---

In this context, due to the reasons I and many others have pointed out
in many  emails in this  thread, there seems  to be no  advantage, and
there  seems to be  clear dangers  in mentioning  the low/no  cost and
quality aspects of free software  instead of or along with the freedom
aspect.

 > arguing here is that a construct that fits the US perfectly need not be
 > the  most apt  in  an Indian,  Third World,  economically-different
 > society.
The   non-free  software  vendors   can  easily   create  a   US  like
socio-economic (wow!) situation in India when it comes to software.

I  believe, the  aim of  fsf-india is  not to  gain market  share from
software corporations,  but to educate people about  free software and
to ensure that  we get to keep our freedoms. I  don't think that there
is any issue if large corporations use a free-software based business
model (what ever that may be).

I don't think that the agenda of fsf-india is to enable individuals or
small  companies in  India  to compete  with  and/or outperform  large
corporations. Please  correct me if I  am wrong. If that  is the case,
then all my arguments were out of context.

bye,
pappu.

PS: Free software is not an answer  to all the issues in the world, or
India.  It  cannot eliminate  poverty,  corruption, natural  disasters
etc... Its only advantage is that, when compared to non-free software,
it gives the user certain freedoms.