(long and repetitive) Re: [Fsf-india] Freedom, affordable costs...

Ranjit Babu d0153019@ncb.ernet.in
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:16:54 +0530 (IST)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Pappu wrote:

> All other  factors being same (free  software may be in  a worse state
> in some cases) Freedom IS the ONLY advantage that can get free software
> any where, in a any kind of market (rich or poor).

When we talk of freedom, we primarily mean the freedom to modify code and
use it without being policed. What significance does this freedom hold for
a user who cannot understand code or modify it? Let's say we have a Bio
professor who wants to create a question bank for quizzes. He has zilch
knowledge about programming. His aim - open up a screen, type in
questions, click a few buttons and get his questin paper. Provided he has
the option of choosing between a proprietary product and a free software
release. Assume cost is of zero significance cos his university will spend
all the money he requires. If both competing software products boast of
equally good functionality, would *freedom* be the reason he chooses free
software?
The freedom we talk of will allow a programmer somewhere to modify the
existing software and improve its functionality; someday, these _may_ beat
the propretary product in performance. But product usage will always be
the end-user's priority- is there a broader meaning to software freedom
or am I short on vital information here?

+ Ranjit