[Fsf-india] free soft/foreign aid/finland

Tere Vadén Tere.Vaden@uta.fi
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:15:38 +0100

Hello all,

I got your addresses from RMS; the background is that just recently a
book by RMS and myself came out in Finland, arguing the case fro free
software. Now, the current Finnish minister for foreign aid &
environmental issues has taken an interest in how free software could be
used in bridging/stopping the widening of the digital divide, and has
asked for a group of people for ideas & set up a preliminary
investigation of how free/open software is currently used in developing
countries. My background is in philosophy/cognitive science/new media
studies, so I have been trying to press the ethical and
economical/ecological arguments and so on, but I know next to nothing
about the real issues & facts & complexities of using free software in
these contexts. So I'm turning to you for any info, sources, examples,
research etc. that would illustrate the use of free software in foreign
aid projects, and maybe suggest avenues that Finland could take and
argue for in the context of the EU.

Thanks for your help,

Tere

Tere Vaden