[Fsf-india] distributions minus non-free

Pappu gnuhead@vsnl.net
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:07:00 +0530

On Wednesday, 3 April 2002 11:58:36 +0530, Vinay Pawar <zoyd@gmx.net> wrote:
 >  I was wondering if the various "Linux" distributions
 >  could be repacked/rebuilt only with free software and
It can be done. Just collect  the CDs in each distribution, remove all
non-free packages, make new ISOs. But now what? How do we redistribute
this? Won't it be like starting a new distribution?  Is it feasible to
keep up with all the releases of these distributions.

If some one  likes a particular release today, he may  not use it once
the next release is out.
 >  Instead of asking everyone to use Debian GNU/Linux,
This is the easiest way. There is already a distribution that achieves
the goal. So why start a new one.
 > can we free such popular distrbutions.
Most  people   who  make  these  popular   distributions  popular  are
interested  because of  the availability  of the  CDs  (with magazines
etc).
 >  If the non-free is stripped can they still be called
 >  what they do + GNU/Linux.
They  are GNU/Linux any  way :-)).  Some one  can't add  some non-free
software to a free OS and claim that it is no longer the same OS.
 >  That way we get Mandrake GNU/Linux, RedHat GNU/Linux and
 >  Slackware GNU/Linux. Is it ok to play with their names.
Any one  can create a new  distribution based on the  free software in
one distribution,  without any problems, but Mandrake,  RedHat etc are
registered trademarks.  So I  don't think you  can use those  names in
your  distribution  (Yes! it  is  your  distribution  once you  modify
something. If somebody  adds or removes some features,  they will have
to own  those changes and  can't claim it  to be the same  distro (and
hence can't use the registered trademarks to refer to them)
 >  Or will it be wise to call them Unofficial Mandrake GNU/Linux,
 >  Unofficial Slackware GNU/Linux.
I am not  sure about this. Can  we use the trademarks, even  if we say
they are unofficial?
 >  Any thoughts ?

My   main  concern  is   how  to   distribute  the   `purged`  distros
economically.

Another thing is - why are these distributions popular?

Once  the non-free components  are removed,  debian has  more packages
than any other distribution and they are actively maintained.

Debian installation is a bit less trouble free than most other distros,
but once  you have an  installed/configured machine, keeping it  up to
date and adding new software is easier in debian.
  There are  alternate installers like  pgi that take care  of initial
installation.

Please  let me  know if  there  is any  other issues  that make  other
distributions more popular than debian.

So  I think, if  people are  made aware  of what  they are  getting in
debian compared  to other distros,  debian will be more  popular among
free  software  lovers than  other  distros.

bye,
pappu.