[FSF India] Re : Lessons from Mexican school experiment

Ramakrishnan M fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:32:30 +0530

Vivekananda Prabhu wrote:

> 1) Publish a complete list of peripherals for which
> Free drivers are available & can be got from Assembled
> PC makers in India. This list ideally should be
> maintained in a FSFI web page & constantly updated

May be you should look at www.spindl3top.com they make PCs for which Free
Drivers exist.

Many of us compromise when it comes to hardware, because all of us want it to
work properly. So we end up buying nVidia cards etc etc for which the
binary-only drivers works very well, we just forget about it. We should not
encourage such vendors and one thing everyone can do is buy alternate hardware,
which might not be as good as the non-free ones, but publish their hardware
specs.  recently bought a PC, and all the shops in Bangalore are showered with
cheap ASUS nVidia cards. I chose to buy the ATI Rage 128 Pro card (which is
definitely not as good as the nVidia GeForce MX card) because ATI publishes all
their specs.

It is a good idea to maintain the shops/vendors list where one can get hardware
for which specs exist(may be free drivers don't exist for them, but that is a
remote possibility). Most of the resources available in the net are US/Europe
based.

--
Ramakrishnan M