[FSF India] Localization of GNU/Linux to Indian languages

Vivekananda Prabhu fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 02:25:25 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Dr. Mudur,

Being an interested party in the localization of
GNU/Linux to Indian languages & believer in the
philosophy of "Free Software" as professed by FSF
(http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) I am
writing this E-mail to you regarding the usability of
NCST developed Indian language support for GNU/Linux
under "Free licences"
(http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html)
especially under GPL & LGPL

1) Does the licensing arrangement with Microsoft
forbid linking NCST code with Software released under
GPL & LGPL considered "viral" by MS?

2)Is it possible to release the software developed
using NCST code under GPL/LGPL? (This is possible only
if NCST code itself is released under GPL/LGPL or
GPL-compatible Free Software licences)

3)Is a commercial (for profit) distribution of such a
software allowed under MS licensing? Are there any
non-competitive clauses that forbid such a software
from competing against MS interests? Are there any
clauses that impose geographical limitations (for e.g.
Not distributable in India, Pakistan & Bangaladesh
etc.)?

4)Is there any clause barring the usage of such S/W
from certain categories of applications like those
used for (including but not limited to) 'Word
Processing', 'E-mail', 'Desktop Processing' etc.?

5)Have any Indian or PCT (world-wide) patents been
obtained on any of the technology/algorithms etc.
related to NSCT project? Have these patents been
passed on to MS as part of the technology transfer?

6)Is there any NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) with MS
on transfer of any technolgy to third-parties?

Since I am looking at the possiblity of including NCST
code for developing "Free Software" localized to
'Kannada' language (state language of Karnataka) & I
was advised to write to you on the FSFI mailing list
by Mr. Satyakam Goswami (goswami@archeanit.com), I
want to be clear on these issues before I start to
avoid making any legal issues with the MS legal
department

If NCST code can be used in Free Software projects I &
other Free Software developers are interested in the
details of using NCST code in GNU/Linux customization
efforts

I donot represent FSF, FSF (India), GNU project or
Archean IT. I am making these queries on my own
interest. I have made a courtesy copy (CC)to FSFI
mailing-list as I believe there are developers over
there who are also interested in knowing these
details. I also request you to do the same for your
reply so that these developers can follow this thread
of discussion

Thanking you,
Vivek