[FSF India] Making money from GPLed (Free) Software

Raghavendra Bhat fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 11:01:33 +0530

[Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 06:57:14PM +0530] Arun :

> BSD is not anti Free Software

Shall we say that BSD is a one-way ticket to freedom. ;-)
The BSD license is DFSG compliant.  BSD-ish software is not
*non-free* like say Pine.  BSD is tending to *free*,
it will never be !  So software having a Pine-ish license
is worse-off than software with BSD-ish license.  We can and
learn from making comparisons but clear lines have to be
drawn.            DFSG == Debian Free Software Guidelines

A sane-minded, *freedom* thinking developer would never
release code under the BSD license for the specific reason
that it might get 'stolen', 'extended' and 'locked'.
Chances are very high and there are no possible remedies
for such an instance, due to the 'black hole' nature (or is-
it a loophole) of the BSD license.

With GPLed software one can make money, help his neighbor and
at the same time move forward technically/technologically.

--
GPG: 1024D/F1624A6E              ragOO, VU2RGU
Helping to keep the  Air-Waves FREE         Amateur Radio