[FSF-India] GNU/Linux in Schools

Denish Makadia fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 01:40:37 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: R Sai

> We can also place a lot more emphasis on the GUI based
> configuration tools. Gone are the days when you *HAD* to use a shell to do
> any administrative task. There are GUI applications to do most of this
> work. For example, GnoRPM, Disk Management, User Management, GnoSamba
> etc. The interface is also fairly intuitive. It's just upto us guys to
> keep the "geekness" aside and demonstrate the use of these tools

Dont we feel this is the way (by using GUI exesively) Proprieteries have
handicapped lots of users around world?
I agree that we are trying to make it easier for them to use the Free
Software with it , but on the other hand we are making it more possible for
them not to look under the Hood, and the the real freedom lies there.....

If this would have been for Other users, who would not accept the
transition, on cost of hardship to learn,  this might be most useful.

> :-). Seriously, most experienced users (includes me too) tend to use the
> shell a lot more than the GUI. It just gives the newbie a feeling that he
> has to learn lots of new "commands".

Again havnt prop. retained their command over  the users by simply not
allowing them to use the "commands" on computers?
Rather than not making them geek, will not  we give them the same dumbness?

In that  case wouldnt  it  (necessary to learn the console/commands,  for
some basic tasks)make them to understand whats there under the Hood, which
can inturn make them realise the last freedom of free software..

Atleast shall not *we* refrain from  doing  it (repeating the past) with
*students*,  whom we want to introduce to freedom.

Just $ 0.02.
(frustrations after spending months as a newbie, to understand the real
freedom, which was obstructed by  some pro GUI learning/teachings....)

Denish