[FSF India] RH, SuSE etc

Radhakrishnan CV cvr@river-valley.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:59:11 +0530 (IST)

On 13 Nov 2001 at 15:51, Khuzaima A. Lakdawala wrote:

[...]

   Selling licenses is the *only* way for a software company to
   generate revenue? Well, I guess other folks in the free
   software community must be wrong because they think otherwise:

As I told earlier, a company that extends services based on free
software will survive, what I meant was can a company that creates
free software survive.

There is a global endeavour to create a free software company and I
am also part of these efforts (by the way, RMS is the chief ethical
officer of this company). Please see

  http://www.freedevelopers.net

FreeDevelopers (FD) has been created as a developer owned company
with a singular objective of writing free software (to replace all
the proprietary in the world) and to empower the developer who
writes free software.  The archives of FD mailing lists will tell
you more about these. Even after a period of one and half years of
its existence, FD is still to find its feet and is one of my
greatest frustrations.

[...]

   A techno-social movement like ours requires active, convincing
   and at times even aggressive advocacy. If the movement's
   leadership simply sits back and lets the "users' experiences
   guide them", it will be doomed to failure.

I agree with you. But, advocacy without intellectual honesty will do
more harm than good, this is what I meant.

--
Radhakrishnan