[FSF India] RH, SuSE etc

Pappu pappu10@mailandnews.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:41:42 +0530

Mohit Agarwal writes:

 > Take a look at http://sources.redhat.com/ [*] and you'll find who
 > maintains (or helps in a big way to maintain) projects like glibc,
 > gcc, gdb just to name a few.

A company helping in maintanence of free software is not an excuse for
using non-free software.  The  problem I found with most distributions
is that they mix together  free and non-free software together. On the
other hand, while installing debian, I am clearly asked whether I want
to use non-free  software. This makes things easier.  I don't know any
thing  about  the  motivation  behind other  distributions  not  doing
so. But as Khuzaima pointed out, it looks like >>taking a free ride<<.

Aren't we  mixing too many things  in this discussion  and taking away
focus from issues that concern freedom? I feel that we should stop the
distributions/ethics  thread and  discuss about  the idea  proposed by
Khuzaima at the begining of this thread.

bye,
pappu.