[FSF India] RH, SuSE etc

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
10 Nov 2001 16:14:10 +0530

Hi Varun,

At the outset, let me point out that the "bone of contention" was no
bone at all :) at least not in the context of "Talking about free
software in schools." You see, the proposed project aims to instill
the fundamental ideas of Free Software amongst youngsters like you
without taking recourse to details like OS distributions. You Varun,
being already exposed to the ideas of Free Software, might show
interest in such talk but for others who would be hearing about Free
Software for the first time it would be more important to concentrate
solely on the fundamental principles. Once these are understood
perfectly, one will hopefully be able to differentiate between ethical
and unethical software without being explicitly told!

Why are some GNU/Linux distributions considered "unethical" by some?
Well, because they add non-free, proprietary applications in the garb of
"value addition". Basically, these are businesses which are trying to
get a free ride on the "Linux bandwagon" and don't really have
anything to do with the ideals of Free Software.

Please keep this in mind when you recommend a particular GNU
distribution to your principal.

Regards,
Khuzaima

--