[FSF India] Shouldn't we give a try, now that there is a space thrown open ?

CK Raju ckra@vsnl.net
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 21:40:43 -0500

Friends,
Recently the Minister for Local Administration in Kerala has gone public
saying that deploying software developed on patent free open source platforms
is his dream. This happened on 02 Nov 2001 at Thiruvananthapuram.

I have succeeded in contacting his Personal Secretary, who directed me to a
young software engineer working as Addl Private Secretary to the Minister.
The information is confirmed and they are ready to give clearance (Clearance
for such work had been denied by the earlier ministry on grounds of
duplication of effort). Probably the last ministry couldn't be convinced
enough of the merits of using free software, before it took the decision in
favour of supporting Microsoft products.

That is something all of us can cheer about.

Information Kerala Mission, started by the LDF ministry are well ahead in
their plans with Microsoft products based solutions. They have already
started installations at a couple of Grama Panchayats.

Funds are likely to be available for this venture on open source, even if it
challenges products developed by IKM.

As a part of the exercise, I had enquired about availability of financial
application packages developed for Linux boxes. GnuCash and Sql-ledger were
some packages, but I would like to know whether someone had seen or developed
applications on MySQL/PHP (on thin clients, to reduce h/w cost overheads and
allow scope for thin devices). GnuCash doesn't use a backend and Sql-Ledger
uses PostgreSQL.I would also like to know whether someone would contribute
efforts towards this exercise if I go ahead with the initial design and
develop a prototype. (I sure am against reinventing wheel)

The exercise would not be limited to financial package as it would need to
step into areas of citizen services to be utilised by the local bodies.
Initial design could be made available provided there are volunteers to build
and develop the work. (To convince the panchayat functionaries, I had gone
ahead and developed one application package wherein the training process at
KILA, a training institute for functionaries of local bodies, can be
effectively monitored. The work is now being used for the training process
here, and the elected representatives as well as officials are now convinced
that things do work better on a Linux network.
Interoperability aspect is also demonstrated to them by allowing Win NT
server access to Linux application. Just info, not boasting.)

It would be great if at least on an experimental basis, at least one grama
panchayat is computerised on Free Software.

I am even ready to release an advertisement should the need arise, but if
some NGOs have links with developers maybe they could help in a much more
significant manner.

Regards,
CK Raju,
Asso Prof (IT),
Kerala Institute of Local Administration,
Thrissur,
Kerala.
Tele : 00 91 487 210312 (PP)

(PS : I am determined to go ahead and develop it, but for me and for that
Addl PS, speed in delivery is of utmost importance. I hope that blessings of
every individual of this group is with me. Let us follow the Brazilian way.)