[FSF India] Talking about free software in schools

M.P.Anand Babu ab@gnu.org.in
07 Nov 2001 16:42:41 -0800

Hi Khuzaima

klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in (Khuzaima A. Lakdawala) writes:
> Hello,
>
> My proposal has nothing to do with individual GNU/Linux distributions
> or with any particular piece of free software for that matter. I am
> only suggesting that we enlighten young and impressionable minds about
> the *simple* philosophy of free software. I think this can certainly
> be done without raking up distribution wars etc.
>
> The only reason I am proposing to do this under the "banner" of
> FSF-India is because it exists! If there is another non-profit Indian
> organisation whose purpose fits with the ideals of free software and
> which wants to lend its name to this campaign then we will do it under
> their banner, no problem.

We should operate under FSF-India (gnu.org.in).

FSF in India was my dream. Roughly 2 years before I found hard to be
with LUGs. They were moving towards OpenSource. But I know I was not
standing alone. Initially a group of 6 including me, started with
distributing GNU/Hurd CDs. We conducted lectures on GNU/Hurd
programming in Colleges and Schools. Today gnu-india.org is holding
126 subscribers.

We should move them to FSF-India lists and put a redirection link on
the web site  to FSF-India web site. GNU-India.org still exists just
because of the GNU/Hurd stuff on the site.

> But I think it is very important to do this under the aegis of a
> country-wide organisation. If a school principal receives a letter
> from me as an individual, stating "I, a proponent of free software
> hereby request you...", she will probably discard it without reading
> further. But if she receives a letter from an organisation on its
> official letterhead signed by an authorised signatory, it will make a
> world of a difference.
absolutely!!

--
 _.|_