[FSF India] Talking about free software in schools

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
07 Nov 2001 12:20:52 +0530

Hello,

My proposal has nothing to do with individual GNU/Linux distributions
or with any particular piece of free software for that matter. I am
only suggesting that we enlighten young and impressionable minds about
the *simple* philosophy of free software. I think this can certainly
be done without raking up distribution wars etc.

The only reason I am proposing to do this under the "banner" of
FSF-India is because it exists! If there is another non-profit Indian
organisation whose purpose fits with the ideals of free software and
which wants to lend its name to this campaign then we will do it under
their banner, no problem.

But I think it is very important to do this under the aegis of a
country-wide organisation. If a school principal receives a letter
from me as an individual, stating "I, a proponent of free software
hereby request you...", she will probably discard it without reading
further. But if she receives a letter from an organisation on its
official letterhead signed by an authorised signatory, it will make a
world of a difference.

Regards,
Khuzaima