[FSF-India] compiling XFree86-4 in debian

Ramakrishnan M fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:02:19 +0530

> while compling XFree86-4 on Debian.
>
> XFree86 complied with no errors, but when i run make install ( this is
> where it compiles some of the X programs like xterm etc ) I got few
> errors.
>
> 1. cannot find lz ( this is the Zlib library. All the libz.so..
> are present in /usr/lib but the static lib was missing. oops I did not
> install it ok I unpacked the src and built a static lib and copied to
> /usr/lib and ran ldconfing. -- that error was fixed!!
> 2. ncurses was missing ok i managed to get the source compiled and
> installd and -- that error too fixed!!

First of all where did you download the sources from? The best thing would be
to download the sources from debian archives itself, as it will have (probably)
debian specific fixes to Makefile and other things added. Also it will download
and install (if you use 'apt-get source packagename') the various dependencies
of the source required to compile.

--
Ramakrishnan M       <rkrishnan@ieee.org>
GPG: 1024D/6A9F3C38  WWW: http://www.symonds.net/~rkrishnan/