[FSF-India] Re: Mr. Bhat's message

Ramakrishnan M fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 19:16:53 +0530

Varun Sinha wrote:

> How? That is what I can't figure out!!
> I think it's important that it become economically viable so that more
> resources will be put into it and better products can be made

Probably you have heard about a company called Cygnus which made a lot of money
from free software while contributing to the development tools like gcc/gdb
etc. Probably now is the time for start a more successful business like that as
people are frenzy over the embedded devices. Most of the people use some foobar
processor which existed in pre-historic age, and for which no good tools exist.
you can make money by adapting gcc/gdb/binutils etc for that procesor (for some
company) and also contribute that code to the community. It's a niche area, and
the most ethical thing to do...

There are several such things you can do to make money. If you have *really
read* the www.gnu.org site, you must have found a section "Selling Free
Software" (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html). If you haven't, please
do so, and come back. There is whole buch of documents there under the
philosophy section. Please read those docs which *might* answer your querries
better.

--
Ramakrishnan M       <rkrishnan@ieee.org>
GPG: 1024D/6A9F3C38  WWW: http://www.symonds.net/~rkrishnan/