[FSF-India] Re: Pappu's questions

Varun Sinha fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:14:48 +0530

> 1) If you would pay for non-free software, why wouldn't you pay for the
>    same software + FREEDOM?
Because given a choice I would rather not pay. If I can get the software
free of cost, why should I (with my Dad's average middle class/lower middle
class income) pay for it. I pay for non-free software because I have to.

> 2) If you develop non-free software, what guarentee do I have that people
>    will pay money for it, rather than copy it illegally from a friend?
Because the non-free software industry is making billions of dollars doing
so, which would make me think that despite piracy, I still can make money

> 3) If you hide your source code by just providing the binaries, what
>    guarentee do you have that someone will not use some tool to reverse
>    engineer your code and use it?
Because it takes forever to disassemble large binaries, and even if u could
read assembly language with the fluency that u can read source code (I don't
know many people who can) u wouldn't be able to modify it much.

> I believe that you can give me answers, since you seem to be convinced of
> the economic viability of non-free software.
I am all for free-software. I LOVE it, as a concept. All I am trying to do
is figure out how people can make money out of it, so that more people will
do it and free-software will become more widespread.

Cosmic Information and Technology Ltd, Ahmedabad, India