[FSF-India] Help me out...

Pappu fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:13:31 +0530

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 12:36:42PM +0530, Arun Kumar.D wrote:
> I'm a newbie to FSF.  I need to clear some doubts.
Welcome.

> 1) What is the difference between Unix and Linux? (Is Linux, GUI based Unix ?)
Unix is the name given to a class of complete operating systems. Linux is
a monolythic kernel, similar to the one used in Unix systems, and this kernel
is usually used as the kernel for a FREE unix like operating system called
the GNU <http://www.gnu.org>.

NB: In your following questions, I assume that you are unknowingly referring
to GNU, when you say Linux, since you are comparing it with an operating
system, and I have taken the liberty to correct you. (Please don't confuse
an entire operating system with just a kernel. You cant compare apples and
oranges)

> 2) Why is GNU more stabler than Windows ?
GNU is free software. This means that a large number of talented and
knowledgeble people get read, modify and redistribute the source code. when
there are more people to fix bugs, the OS becomes more stable.

> 3) Why is GNU less prone to viruses?
GNU is a multi user operating system. Here a normal user cannot run a program
that can modify programs belonging to other users in the system. So viruses
can't infect. They will be in a sort of digital prison.

> 4) Why do people develop softwares for Windows, and not much for GNU ?
This is wrong. I personally know more people who develop for GNU than any
other operating system. Now if you feel that the numbers are not enough, I
sujjest that you join in and increase it.

> 5) And, if the software professionals distribute their softwares for free,
> then how will they survive ?
Software professionals charge money for the free software they develop and
distribute. They survive on this money, just like any other human being.
Please note that free software is free as `free India` and not as in
`free lunch`.

Please visit the GNU web site <http://www.gnu.org> to get a more clear idea
and write back if you have any doubts.

bye,