[FSF-India] Help me out...

Denish Makadia fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:11:54 +0530

Let me clarify few things first and reply your points,

Linux is a kernel used as a base for GNU/Linux System, and  what u r asking
of is whole GNU/Linux  OS.

Free in Free Software is as in " Free Speech" not  as in "Free Beer".

>1) What is the difference between Unix and Linux ? (Is Linux, GUI based
Unix
>?)

GNU/Linux is an free OS which have its Architechture  inherited from Unix..

>2) Why is Linux more stabler than Windows ?

It is Developed and Maintained by developers all over world. There are very
less chances of any bugs, defects, left out from peer review  of all of
those developers.

>3) Why is Linux less prone to viruses?

Due to its Secure Architechture and,as stated in second point,support
available to it.

>4) Why do people develop softwares for Windows, and not much for Linux ?

As till date M$ was having monopoly (Which they are Misusing)on the desktop
market, it  was needed for any Commercial Company to develop software which
is used by many.
But now, Especially professionals, are turning to Use/Development of Free
Software, this will change the scenario in near future...

>5) And, if the software professionals distribute their softwares for free,
>then how will they survive ?

By Distribution, Providing Services, and Development for those  Companies
who develops and customise Free Software.

for more details u can go through pages and links available at
ww.gnu.org.in
ww.fsf.org.in

HTH.

Gurus
This is a newbie helping the other, corrections and more clarifications are
expected and welcome :)
Denish.