[FSF-India] Lead story about FSF India

K G Kumar fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:34:10 +0530

--=======59FB6C14=======

Resending, since it didn't appear the first time:

At 03:05 PM 7/5/01 +0530, Ragu wrote:
>I do not know how KG mis-interpreted this and caused this grave mishap !

Please, at least,  give me the benefit of doubt... (If nothing else, you
did read the original myiris.com story...)

Anyone with an iota of intelligence, who reads the main story, and has some
inkling into the ways of journalism, can easily surmise that the headline
came from an editor, copy editor or subeditor... The main story makes clear
the distinction between "Free Software" and "Open Source" ( read the
bracketed elaboration)...

In fact, I had posted an explanation about the offensive title (my own
title was: An Indian avatar for the Free Software Foundation) to this list
(Radi, why are some messages not appearing?), responded to both Radi and
another person who had commented on the story. I had also, in anticipation
of RMS reading  the story, mailed him re: the error... The editor of FreeOs
(to whom I had also pointed out the error) says he needed a non-Indian
angle (which is why he dropped my headline) since most of the readers of
FreeOS are abroad...

Anyway, that is just to clarify the situation...

But please understand that I am offended by the implication that I am lax
in my analysis/understanding...Which I am not...In fact, rarely do I
venture to write about a subject until I have wrestled it to the ground...

In anger (solidarity lurking in the background -;))

kg

---