[Fsf-india] Re: [Fsf Education] Fwd: Free Software for Education

Ranjit Babu d0153019@ncb.ernet.in
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:55:01 +0530 (IST)

> Not all Schools have C/C++ in the Syllabus. Most of the KV Schools have
> FoxPro and MS Excel in 11th and 12th std, and this is serious!

Post 1998, CBSE schools definitely have C/C++ in their syllabi. Prior to
that, Pascal was in. Now its found its way out.

> I do not agree. What I think is to get a good hold of the machine They
> have to start with ALP in a mild way and then continue with C/C++.

Boards have their focus on bridging the gap between school syllabi and
engineering/related courses. Most engineering syllabi begin with a C/C++
course; some even retain Pascal..CBSE doesn't even have a clear focus on
software- they have comp organization basics peppered with some C/C++ for
effect! I know for a fact that very few students come out with a good base
in programming. What we could focus on is changing the complete
mindset. The FS philospy could proe inspiring..