[Fsf-india] Re: [Fsf Education] Fwd: Free Software for Education

ramakrishnan gnuhead@myrealbox.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:52:04 +0550

> I do not agree. What I think is to get a good hold of the machine They
> have to start with ALP in a mild way and then continue with C/C++.

Some of the best universities in the world do not teach C/C++ (which are in
my opinion, "high level assembly languages") and instead teach much
higher level languages like scheme. The best introduction on Computer
Science ever written, SICP, uses Scheme. Python was an outcome of the effort
"Computer Programming for Everybody". My own personal experience with emacs
lisp shows that it is much easier than C (I don't know programming in C++).

These interpreted languages comes wit ha rich set of libraries which can be used
right away, which makes things easier..
--
Ramakrishnan M  <rkrishnan@debian.org> | http://people.debian.org/~rkrishnan/