[Fsf-india] Re: [Fsf Education] Fwd: Free Software for Education

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
11 Dec 2001 13:34:04 +0530

Dear Ranjit Babu, Arun and All,

> Hi everyone!
> 	Free software for Education is one project that's been in the
> offing at gnu-india for some time. I have been co-ordinating with
> Arun(arun@gnu.org.in) for details on the same and over a period of time, a
> vision ( a plan actually!) has been thought of. This email is to ask for
> support and ideas for the project.
> 	The objective is to provide a complete set of Free Software Tools
> for education, promote FS and (package)distribute applications among
> students. Our first target would be Standard 11 and 12 (plus two).

Could you please consider merging this project with an advocacy
project also targeting a similar audience?

        http://gnu.org.in/pipermail/fsf-edu/2001-October/000010.html

This project primarily aims at talking about the philosophy of free
software and explaining the importance of software freedoms to these
youngsters.

The merged project could devise a talk/lecture/symposium split in two
parts: one devoted to the philosophy and the other introducing
relevant free software tools.

For instance, the CBSE +2 syllabus consists of a C/C++ course. I
wouldn't be surprised to find that most CBSE schools use proprietary
"visual" compiler environments running on proprietary operating
systems to teach this course. Besides introducing the youngsters to
some combination like GNU Emacs/GCC running on a free operating
system, we could also petition the school managements to switch to
free software whenever it doesn't conflict with the syllabus.

> 	A website for the project is what we're aiming at first. It would
> initially maintain a directory of information on available software
> packages that can be used effectively in India's education scene. As we
> progress, we can use it as a launchpad for other activities.

The web site could also list the computer software syllabus at the +2
level of the various state education boards and the central boards
like CBSE, ICSE etc. This would enable us to concentrate on software
relevant to the syllabus. If any syllabus contains explicit mention of
any proprietary software, we should take the campaign a notch higher
and petition the corresponding education board itself!

> You can enlist your support and suggest ideas(please!) at
> fsf-india@gnu.org.in. Any queries can be addressed to me at
> ranjitbabu@yahoo.com/d0153019@ncb.ernet.in

It would be best if we "centralized" all discussion on this project on
the "FSF Education" mailing list.

Regards,
Khuzaima