[Fsf-india] IT Policy Govt of Kerala

CK Raju ckra@vsnl.net
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 07:44:06 -0500

> Trying to "compete" solely on the basis of "technical merits" (even if
> those merits are valid) of Free Software does a lot of damage to the
> cause. It paints a wrong picture, makes it sound as if the raison

I suppose this phrase had been used by Microsoft to counter the moves of Free
Software in Governments (Search for 'Governments push Open Source' using
Google engine)

> d'etre of Free Software is simply to provide "technically" better
> software and trivialises the important freedoms provided by Free
> Software.
>
> Besides, this argument is dangerous when one comes across a particular
> piece of proprietary software which is truly technically superior to
> any comparable offering of Free Software (this is clearly not an
> impossibility). The "technical merit" argument falls flat on its face

(We are on the same side of the coin.) This should be seen only as a small
step (and surely a firm one - read 'giant step for mankind' from the
landing-on-moon experience) in favour of a new philosophy. Its for
technologists to work hard and bring about solutions that make the policy
efforts of the 'behind-the-scene' people rewarded.

CK Raju