[Fsf-india] IT Policy Govt of Kerala

CK Raju ckra@vsnl.net
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 18:30:12 -0500

>     The Government wishes to encourage the judicious use of open
> source/free software that complements/supplements proprietary software, to
> reduce the total cost of ownership of IT applications/solutions without
> compromising on the immediate and medium term value provided by the
> application. The Government welcomes research into the use of open/free

That seems to be the 'giant step for mankind'.
I am sure most of the other states will soon follow suit.

> software in the context of education, governance, and for general use at
> home, to make IT truly a part of the daily lives of the people of the
> State. The Government also encourages projects such as the Simputer that is
> low cost, based on open software, and attuned to the needs of the common
> man.

Now its level-playing field. Let the software compete with their 'technical
merits'.

Cheers to one and all behind this huge effort, especially those in the IT
department. I am sure the future generations of the nation will get inspired
by the document and find out what it meant for them.

CK Raju