[FSF India] Open $ource is as dangerous as M$ (if not more)

Raju Mathur fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:12:28 +0530 (IST)

Hi Prabhu,

    VA> Hi, I have been following the "Free" vs. "Open Source" vs.
    VA> "Closed Source" debate which has been raging for sometime now.

    VA> The real issues here is *ethics*.

    VA> The so-called Open Source guys are here to make *money*
    VA> period. Though open source definition looks deceptively
    VA> similar to Free Software definition including half-hearted
    VA> endorsement of GPL, the real issues are more deeper & subtle
    VA> (for the casual reader)

I'm in it to make money.  Does that make me an outcast from the Free
Software community?

    VA> 1) World Domination -- Most of the open source guys are of the
    VA> type "My view is world view" including Linus Torvalds & the
    VA> stupid moron ( pardon me for the strong words used but I
    VA> couldn't find any political correct word to describe this guy)
    VA> who has added words of poisonous vicious attack on RMS on
    VA> GLIBC README!!!.

Fanaticism for any reason is a lost cause.  Any reason: whether for or
against GPL, for or against MS, for or against ESR or RMS or LT.

    VA> They want Linux to succeed not "Freedom"

My definition of freedom includes the right to let other people
release their software under any license they please.  I'll still try
to convince them to go GPL, I'd be upset if they chose another
license, but I wouldn't abuse them.  True freedom includes the freedom
to err, and no one has the One True Definition of right and wrong.

    VA> [snip]

Regards,

-- Raju
--