[FSF India] [Debate] On Free Software and Freedom

Raj Singh fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:24:24 +0530 (IST)

Really worth reading. To my surprise, FSF appears to be on "weaker" moral
ground in this debate (a rare event). For detailed reading, please visit
the _Linux Today_ site.

-- Raj

Linux Today (http://www.linuxtoday.com/)

"Freedom Zero" and "Freedom or Power" : Tim O'Reilly and FSF Leaders
Debate. Followed by Eric Raymond on "Freedom, Power, or Confusion?"

Aug 17, 2001, 17:38 UTC

Tim O'Reilly:

Some people might not recognize the reference to "Freedom Zero" as a
takeoff on the first of Richard Stallman's four freedoms from the Free
Software Definition."

Bradley Kuhn and Richard M. Stallman:

Tim O'Reilly says the most fundamental software freedom is: "The freedom to
choose any license you want for software you write." Unstated, but clearly
implied, is that one person or corporation chooses the rules to impose on
everyone else. In the world that O'Reilly proposes, a few make the basic
software decisions for everyone. That is power, not freedom. He should call
it "powerplay zero" in contrast with our "freedom zero".

O'Reilly's Response:

"Bradley clearly misunderstands my article and my argument. First off, if
you accept his definition of freedom as "being able to make decisions that
affect mainly you" versus power as "being able to make decisions that
affect others more than you", then clearly the GPL is just as much about
"power" as any Microsoft license, since it is binding on all who use the
software, and has the explicit goal of "world domination."

Eric Raymond: Freedom, Power, or Confusion?

In a reply to Tim O'Reilly, Bradley Kuhn and Richard Stallman illustrate
once again why the FSF's use of the word `freedom' is ... well, I'll say
"confusing", though stronger terms suggest themselves.

They begin by writing "Power is being able to make decisions that affect
others more than you. If we confuse power with freedom, we will fail to
uphold real freedom." Thus, far I agree with them.

Tim asserts that the most fundamental software freedom is the freedom to
choose any license you want for the software you write. Kuhn and Stallman
reply (unstated, but clearly implied) is "that one person or corporation
chooses the rules to impose on everyone else."