[FSF India] Malayalam support for GNU/Linux

Radhakrishnan CV fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 19:29:17 +0530 (IST)

GNU/Linux system can now support Malayalam.

Today a team of developers in FreeDevelopers.net (India) have
successfully implemented Malayalam support in Pango and an input
module for gtk which can support Hellingman's Malayalam
Transliteration Schema. Jeroen Hellingman is the man who wrote a TeX
package, input scheme and a free Malayalam font using Metafont
language. However, the metafont sources can only create rastor fonts
that are fit for usage in a TeX system, we need to write our own
fonts for using in GNU/Linux.

The software used are gtk+-1.3.5, pango-0.16. The sources will be
released soon. A screen shot can be had at:

 http://www.tugindia.org.in/malayalam/malayalam.jpg

Its is just in alpha stage and you can expect a few bugs. Comments
are welcome.

Congratulations to the young developers of FD (India).

--
Radhakrishnan