[FSF India] Re:Draft Letter by Khuzaima A. Lakdawala

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala fsf-india@gnu.org.in
16 Aug 2001 15:23:20 +0530

Pappu <pappu10@mailandnews.com> writes:

> > its requirement "that the changes *have* to be" given back to the Free
> > Software community.
> Only if you want to publish (distribute) the changed software. GPL dosen't
> insist that all modifications be distributed in the first place, although
> it is encouraged (and a very good thing to do).

I stand corrected.

Also, (this is addressed to Kanti) there are many other non-copyleft
licenses (http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html) which are
perfectly *good* Free Software licenses from a user's
perspective. Hence, it is best to keep our letter license-neutral and
not mention the GPL and its requirements.

- Khuzaima