[FSF India] One more template letter to the Govt

Rajkumar S. fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 22:19:06 +0530 (IST)

Hi all,

I am attaching one more letter which was drafted quite some time back
for the Govt of Kerala by the then Trivandrum "Linux" user group. I
guess it has some important points we can add to the Raju's letter.

Please understand that this is quite old letter and some facts may be
outdated.

raj

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
\usepackage{hyperref}
%\usepackage{garamond}
\begin{document}

\section{TODO ( not in the order of importance)}
\begin{enumerate}
\item Support options
\item Training
\item  A profile about the business practices of Bill Gates and MS
\end {enumerate}

\section{Introduction}
On 8th June there was a news item in the press stating, as part of
computerisation in different institutions under the Govt of Kerala,
the Public sector undertaking C-DIT had made contract with the
Microsoft Corp India Ltd. It will be a huge project involving large
amount of money and having long term effects.  In fact the project can
be implemented with lesser cost using a technologically superior
product named Linux.

Linux is an operating system that was initially created as a hobby by
a young student, Linus Torvalds, at the University of Helsinki in
Finland. Linux is often considered an excellent, low-cost alternative
to other more expensive operating systems. In addition to being
cost-effective, it is constantly being updated and refined with the
latest technologies. As Linux gains greater acceptance throughout the
computing industry, more and more companies are supporting Linux via
both application and hardware compatibility.

\section{Technical Superiority}

The days of ``one size fit all'' are gone. IS mgrs should choose the
right tools to do the right job. So all the platforms should be able
to interact with each other seamlessly and there is not a single
platform including Linux that is the right solution. None other than
Microsoft knows this better. Since they are using Apache (The most
popular web server in the world) to power Hotmail, Microsoft's online
portal.

This is a transcript of a web client with the Hotmail server which
proves the point.

\begin {verbatim}
HTTP/1.1 200 OK