[LIG] Re: [FSF India] Re: WB Govt ties up with MSFT

Radhakrishnan CV fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:52:46 +0530 (IST)

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 at 11:29, Satyakam Goswami wrote:

   > What kind of a compromise is this? We might as well shut down
   > FSF-I then. If we are *deliberately* not going to talk about
   > freedom, FSF-I loses it reason to exist. It just becomes an
   > Open Source body. RMS wouldn't even have agreed to come here
   > for its inauguration if he knew that we were going to
   > *deliberately* omit mentioning freedom in our arguments.

   RMS is smarter than he looks. He knows what he is doing and
   why he has come to India.you are over reacting to what he
   meant and said cool down.

It is a practical problem and let us not flame on it. I will agree
with Raju on the draft letter since we are talking to the political
leadership of a state government who are all well aware of the
values of freedom and democracy.

It might be a nice idea to add a paragraph on software freedom too
which might be missing in the draft letter, but software freedom
without software merits is not a convincing factor for the
leadership to adopt it for governance, for, you might not have dared
to send this letter five years back when this very freedom was
available then too in the same magnitude and dimension as we have
now.

Therefore, let us make the draft letter complete with necessary
addition of the paragraph(s) on freedom (Pappu, Satyakam: please
contribute) and other missing/relevant philosophical issues, let us
make it ready at the earliest to send it to the WB government,
instead of nitpicking on a finely drafter letter which was meant for
adoption/modification by a wider spectrum of software enthusiasts
to suit their philosophy and subsequent despatch to the WB
goverment.

--
Radhakrishnan