[LIG] Re: [FSF India] Re: WB Govt ties up with MSFT

Satyakam Goswami fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:29:18 +0530 (IST)

> Dear Raju,
>
> Raju Mathur <raju@linux-delhi.org> writes:
>
>> While I agree that freedom is the most important facet of Free
>> Software, I deliberately omitted mentioning it in the letter.
>
> What kind of a compromise is this? We might as well shut down FSF-I then.
> If we are *deliberately* not going to talk about freedom, FSF-I loses it
> reason to exist. It just becomes an Open Source body. RMS wouldn't even
> have agreed to come here for its inauguration if he knew that we were going
> to *deliberately* omit mentioning freedom in our arguments.
RMS is smarter than he looks. He knows what he is doing and why he has come to
India.you are over reacting to  what he meant and said cool down.

>> The idea was to create a document which would present hard facts which
>> cannot be debated away.
>
> How can our fundamental rights be debated away? It makes no sense!
Why don't you draft one so that we can choose the best one or do some
alterations to the existing one.You are Free to do that :)

> Pappu definitely hit the bull's eye when he said:
>
>        On the other hand, I feel that if we don't speak of freedom or hide
>        it behind the other facts, the whole exercise becomes meaningless.
Nobody is trying to hide anything , its just a matter of experiece leaving in a
physical as well as the virtual world that's speaking from Raju's point of
view. GodDammit this guy is a pro and he makes a living out of Free Software
Services.I would like you to be in his shoes for a while and imagine, that's
all.

> If you must go ahead with the letter as it is, *deliberately* leaving out
> "the most important facet of Free Software", please do, but please be kind
> enough to remove the terms Free Software and Electronic Freedom from its
> opening line to read:

Why is it TM too :-)

>        We, the Open Source proponents in India...
>
> It's a pity, because the letter states and explains many of the
> *other* benefits of Free Software so nicely and lucidly. If only it did not
> shy away from stating the *main point* of Free Software, it would have made
> a powerful letter.

cheers
S.Goswami

--