[FSF India] Re: WB Govt ties up with MSFT

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala fsf-india@gnu.org.in
08 Aug 2001 08:59:06 +0530

Raju Mathur <raju@linux-delhi.org> writes:

>     RK> Raju Mathur wrote:
>     >>  We, the Free Software, Open Source and Electronic Freedom
>     >> proponents in India are deeply distressed to learn about your
>     >> Government's plans
>
>     RK> I suggest avoiding the term Open Source, and use only the
>     RK> other two. Because, you see, it sends out wrong impressions
>     RK> outside. If a press release based on this letter comes out,
>     RK> FSF-India will be termed as a group Open Source proponents.
>
> Good idea.  In fact, let's all create one version each of the letter
> (GPL enthusiasts, BSD License enthusiasts, Open Source enthusiasts,
> Electronic Freedom enthusiasts, etc); that way we'll be able to
> achieve much more.  Even if we don't, it doesn't matter since, after
> all, what you /might/ get called by a misinformed press is more
> important than what you do, isn't it?

Yes, it is *very* important! Propagating the term "Open Source" keeps
a "misinformed press" just that, misinformed. We *must* inform the
press that the term Open Source is not interchangeable with Free
Software and that, in fact, Open Source is nothing but a *dumbing
down* of Free Software intended for people who do not understand such
*complicated* things like FREEDOM!

But a Free Press knows everything about freedom, doesn't it? A Free
Press can be the most powerful ally of Free Software. Just calling
them "misinformed" and leaving it at that is the worst
approach. Enlightening the press about Free Software should be our
topmost priority.

--
Khuzaima A. Lakdawala