[FSF India] Purchasing Power [Was ... Re: GNU/Linux in Schools]

Devang Patel fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:35:06 -0700

On Thursday, August 2, 2001, at 11:11  AM, Frederick Noronha wrote:

> IN A 'SOFTWARE SUPER-POWER', RURAL KIDS LACK THE CODE TO LEARN...
>
> By Frederick Noronha
> --------------------

Really well covered article with lots of good points.

> Of course, at the end of the day, much of the Indian educational
> software
> scarcity simply boils down to a question of economics. In spite of their
> millions-strong numbers, the rural dweller simply doesn't have the
> purchasing power. So why should anyone bother with writing software
> specifically for him? Even if this is a country that is increasingly
> claiming the status of being the world's software superpower. (ENDS)

I think, today or tomorrow, we need to get over this myth of purchasing
power.
On the paper the rural india does not have the purchasing power, but

- Somebody managed to sell Millions of Bajaj Scooters/ Hero Honda/
Yamaha/ Suzuki...
- Somebody managed to sell thousands of Maruties
- Somebody managed to sell many many Television sets (did anybody count?)
- Somebody managed to sell many many Refrigerators
- Even on newest electronic appliance in the market --  "Washing
Machine" -- somebody is
   making money...

- Half of the total population (I do not have exact number) do not get
fresh/pure drinking
   water, but somehow Pepsi/Coca-cola seems to make lots of money...

Bottom line is -- if one gives enough reason to buy he will always find a
market to survive in India.

My thoughts,
Devang