[FSF India] Re: WB Govt ties up with MSFT

Radhakrishnan CV fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:40:46 +0530 (IST)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 at 10:15, Satish Babu wrote:

In the first place, I should thank Raju for coming out with a
powerful letter.

   I believe that there should be a local group who can take up
   this issue and lobby the government. Are we aware of any
   individual or groups in WB who can highlight the dangers of
   this tie-up? Can we operate through local NGOs?  After working
   in NGOs for long, I think NGOs can be powerful allies in this
   struggle.

This seems to be a viable method in the local level to put pressure
on the WB government.

   I also think that FSF-India should be prepared, with
   appropriate tools (at the very least, a dossier of documents
   that explain our position, and quoting examples of governments
   of other provinces and countries) to respond to such
   situations at short notice.

Exactly.

   Raju's letter is powerfully drafted. I wonder if such a letter
   should be sent by snail-mail or e-mail? Would clogging up the
   CM's mailbox brand us as cyber terrorists?

Why not we have a web page for all those interested to sign? We
shall keep the page for a period of one week or ten days and
propagate the news to all the mailing lists inviting people to sign
the document.

After the specified period, we can submit a mass memorandum to the
WB government. In the meantime, FSF Board can work out the dossier
of documents.

Any thoughts?

--
Radhakrishnan