[FSF India] Re: [FSF-India] GNU/Linux in Schools

R Sai Kiran fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:55:06 +0530 (IST)

Hi,

> Dont we feel this is the way (by using GUI exesively) Proprieteries have
> handicapped lots of users around world?
> I agree that we are trying to make it easier for them to use the Free
> Software with it , but on the other hand we are making it more possible for
> them not to look under the Hood, and the the real freedom lies there.....

	Nice arguement :-)

	Well, the point I was trying to make is, let's first get the users
to feel to surface and they'll dig deeper themselves. Once you start using
powerful applications, *LOTS* of them, which come free of cost (free as
in "free" beer), you'd definitely wonder why so many people are giving
their code free, even allowing people to make modifications to
it. Further, there's the big question on "How does the developer
survive". Atleast a good percentage of people would go to the GNU website
to find out more. This curiosity, plus a realisation of the power of the
"Free Software" philosophy would attract the people more. All these are
just MY OPINIONS. Further, more the GNU users, more would be the funding,
development etc. So, making the new user comfortable with the OS is
central to the whole plan.

> Again havnt prop. retained their command over  the users by simply not
> allowing them to use the "commands" on computers?

	More people I know have learnt their GNU/Linux principles,
administration etc. reading the docs rather than attending Courses in
professional coaching academies. It's the other way around for
Windows. When the user suddenly realises there's something he's not able
to do with the GUI, he'd get back to the docs. As long as the GUI does the
job it is intended to, I think it's performing well and there's no reason
to condemn it. It only makes it easier for people to *start* using
GNU. When the needs increase, and if they find it necessary, they'll
definitely get back to the command line.

	Again, these are just, my thoughts and I'd love to know others'
opinions.

Regards,

Sai

Recursion n: